Pages

Sunday, 13 September 2020

Conor McGregor is released without charge after spending 48 hours in custody in Corsica on suspicion of attempted sexual assault and indecent exposure

Mixed martial arts star and boxer Conor McGregor was released from two days in police custody in Corsica today after being accused of ‘sexual assault and indecent exposure’.
Prosecutors on the French holiday island in the Mediterranean confirmed that the 32-year-old Irishman was arrested on Thursday night following a complaint against him.
‘The suspect was arrested and placed in custody by the judicial authorities,’ said a spokesman for the Bastia prosecutor. ‘He was released on Saturday.’ 
An investigating source later revealed that the claims about Conor McGregor relate ‘to an incident involving a young woman in a bar in Calvi very late last Sunday evening.’ 
‘The accused had been drinking heavily around the Marina, and is said to have got involved in some bad behaviour.’
A formal complaint was made to police on Thursday by an as-yet unnamed witness, believed to be the woman.
McGregor is pictured in Calvi, Corsica on Thursday
McGregor is pictured in Calvi, Corsica on Thursday
McGregor is pictured in Calvi, Corsica on Thursday, the same day he was arrested on suspicion of attempted sexual assault and indecent exposure 
The MMA fighter was in the region to take part in a voyage to raise awareness of water safety
The MMA fighter was in the region to take part in a voyage to raise awareness of water safety
Conor McGregor has reportedly been taken into custody for alleged indecent exposure
Conor McGregor has reportedly been taken into custody for alleged indecent exposure
This led to police raiding McGregor’s £3million yacht, which was named locally as the ‘Dave Ocean’, the next day.
McGregor ‘answered this summons on Friday morning’ said the source, who said that McGregor made his way to the local Tramariccia Gendarmerie by bike, surrounded by bodyguards.
‘It was there that he was questioned by a magistrate and judicial police,’ said the source, before being released on Saturday.
The source said ‘a number of tests’ had been carried out on McGregor while in custody, without offering further information.
McGregor has been staying on is yacht, which is moored close to Calvi, the upmarket port town in the north of the island.
McGregor has been on holiday in Corsica with his girlfriend, Dee Devlin, and their two children.
There had been a complaint pointing toward ‘sexual assault and indecent exposure,’ said the spokesman, who did not offer any more details about the alleged crimes.
French police can hold a suspect for an initial period of 48 hours before having to apply for an extension to custody, charge them, or release them.
In this case McGregor was released without charge, but the case has not been closed, and there may be further action.
Emmanuelle Ramon, McGregor’s lawyer, said his client ‘vigorously denied any wrongdoing’.
‘He has been released before the legal end of police custody and without any judicial review,’ said Mr Ramon.
It was not clear whether Mr Ramon was being asked to remain on Corsica while enquiries continued.
Audie Attar, McGregor’s manager, said in a statement: ‘I am irate and putting out a warning loud and clear: Conor McGregor is not and will not be a target for those seeking to score a headline or a payday.’
In Corsica, McGregor was preparing to take part in a 180-kilometre, 24-hour charity water bike race from Calvi to Monaco.
Princess Charlene of Monaco would have been alongside him to help promote water safety, but McGregor has now been forced to withdraw.    

The prosecutor's office wrote in a statement: 'Following a complaint filed on September 10 denouncing acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition, Mr. Conor Anthony McGregor was the subject of a hearing by the police.'   
McGregor was pictured attending a lavish event in the region, on the port of Calvi, alongside his fiancee on Friday night.  
He proposed to Devlin, his long-term partner, during the summer, and has shared several social media posts of them both during their holiday.    
McGregor, who has retired from UFC for a third time, has denied the accusations against him
McGregor, who has retired from UFC for a third time, has denied the accusations against him
Conor McGregor smokes suspicious cigarette in Instagram video
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:00
Previous
Play
Skip
Mute
Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time0:26
Fullscreen
Need Text
McGregor was pictured attending a lavish event in Corsica alongside his fiancee Dee Devlin
McGregor was pictured attending a lavish event in Corsica alongside his fiancee Dee Devlin
McGregor shared several photos of himself preparing for the 180km voyage on social media
McGregor shared several photos of himself preparing for the 180km voyage on social media

McGregor revealed in July that he was set to be one of the athletes to take part in the 24-hour challenge across the course of this weekend. 
He had cheered on Tour de France cyclists from Nice in late August, and uploaded several pictures of himself wearing the famous yellow jersey on Instagram during his preparations.
McGregor had announced his retirement from UFC in June for the third time in just four years.    
McGregor, an icon of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), who goes by the nickname 'Notorious', is no stranger to controversy.
He hit the headlines in 2019 for an attack on an older man in a Dublin bar captured in a viral video.
In 2018 he pled guilty in Brooklyn, New York to disorderly conduct after attacking a bus filled with UFC fighters.
McGregor held the UFC title for featherweights from 2015 to 2016 and lightweights from 2016 to 2018 and lost to American legend Floyd Mayweather in August 2017 in a lucrative boxing match.
In June, he announced his retirement for the third time, after twice returning to the octagon  
Despite stepping away from fighting, McGregor was recently drug-tested by officials onboard his £3million yacht.
His preparations for the voyage were abruptly interrupted by the unexpected arrival from the United States Anti-Doping Agency. 
After the visit, he tweeted: 'What's going on here UFC? USADA have just arrived to my yacht this morning for testing? I've retired guys! 
'But go on then, I'll allow them test me. It's all natural here baby! Forever and always, God Bless.'
McGregor was recently drug-tested by officials onboard his £3million yacht despite retiring
McGregor was recently drug-tested by officials onboard his £3million yacht despite retiring
McGregor had posted pictures of the drug-testing equipment on his social media accounts
McGregor had posted pictures of the drug-testing equipment on his social media accounts

No comments:

Post a comment